Phone:  888.602.2225

AHAR 2017 Results (PIT)

By / January 11, 2018 / , , / 0 Comments

Every year the US Department of Housing & Urban Development  release the Annual Homeless Assessment Report (AHAR) to project an estimate of an increase or decrease in growth of homelessness in the US, and the progress on preventing and ending homelessness. This report is divided into 2 parts; part one was just released last month and it provides Point-in-Time (PIT) estimates. The data gathered under PIT is gathered in the last 10 days of January of the prior year. Here are some of the interesting finds from the past year:

  • On a single night in January 2017, approximately 553,742 people experienced homelessness across the US.
  • Of the 553,742, 65% stayed in emergency shelters while the remaining 35% were unsheltered.
  • For the firsts time in 7 years homelessness increased by 1%; this was mostly due to specific changes within cities, and the amount increased was directly related to the increase of individuals experiencing homelessness in unsheltered locations.
  • The number of families with children experiencing homelessness between 2016 and 2017 has decreased by 5%
  • States that had the highest rates of homelessness included:
    • California (68%)
    • Nevada (58%)
    • Oregon (57%)
    • Hawaii (52%)
    • Mississippi (48%)
  • Despite the national increase between 2016 and 2017, homelessness declined in 30 states in the same time period
  • Ages of people who experienced homelessness were the highest among people over the age of 24 (88%), 18-24 (10%), and under 18 at (1.4%)

Here are the progress and goals that the US Housing and Urban Development is committed to:

  • Goal: Prevent & End Chronic Homelessness
    • Progress: People experiencing chronic homelessness has overall decreased by 18% since 2010; this can be attributed in part by the addition of 94,000 permanent supportive housing beds made available.
  • Goal:Prevent and end Homelessness in Veterans
    • Progress: Since 2010, the amount of homeless veterans has dropped almost in half by 46%

To read more about the Goals, Progress and other demographics, visit HUD Exchange.

 

 

 

Source:Hud.gov

HAVE AN IDEA? WE’RE HERE TO HELP YOU MANAGE YOUR WORK

%d bloggers like this: